Vazhakkai podimas is an Authentic South Indian dish prepared with Raw Banana/Plantain.
In this traditional recipe, Raw Banana is half boiled and grated. I have already posted an easy method for the same dish, click here for Easy Vazhakkai podimas
- 2 Raw Banana/Plantain
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp ustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Channa dal
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- 2 Red chillies
- A pinch Hing/Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Ginger (Skin peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 Green chilli (Finely chopped)
- A spring Curry leaves
1) Pressure cook Raw banana for 1 whistle. Raw banana needs to be half cooked and should not turn mushy. Alternatively you can cook the Raw banana directly in a pan of water.
2) After it cools, remove the skin and grate using grater with big holes.
3) Heat oil in a kadai and add Mustard seeds to crackle next add Channa dal, Urad dal, Asafoetida, Dried Red chillies and fry till dals turn light brown.
4) Now add Curry leaves, Ginger, Green chillies and fry. Next add grated Raw banana, Salt and mix gently. Leave them to get cooked in oil for few minutes so that the raw flavour goes off completely.
5) Finally add grated Coconut, Coriander leaves, Lemon juice and mix well. Switch off the flame after few seconds.
Authentic Vazhakkai podimas is ready..