This flavourful Tomato Rasam is also called as Thelivu Rasam or Clear Rasam.
Generally the last portion of Rasams are left out, but in this Rasam it remains clear till the end since
1) We are grinding the tomatoes, tamarind and straining
2) Also instead of adding cooked toor dal we are adding only Toor dal water.
I first tasted this Rasam at my chithi's house and it was so tasty with extra tomato flavour. I took the recipe from my chithi and tried. This Rasam was a big hit and we all loved it so much.
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal
- 1 Gooseberry size Tamarind
- 1 tbsp Rasam powder
- A small piece Hing/Asafoetida
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- A spring Curry leaves (Chopped)
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Ghee
1) Pressure cook toor dal with extra water and keep aside.
2) Grind tomatoes, tamarind to smooth paste then strain this tomato puree. You can add 1 cup of water to strained pulp portion and strain it again. Now discard the pulp portion.
3) Add Salt, Hing and boil this tomato water till raw smell goes off. Next add Rasam powder, Toor dal water (No need to add cooked toor dal) and leave it to boil in medium flame till frothy.
4) Add Coriander leaves, Curry leaves and switch off the stove after 5 mins.
5) Heat ghee in a kadai and add Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds to crackle. Pour this sesasoning mixture on top of Rasam.
Tasty Tomato Rasam is ready..
1) I have used Home made Rasam powder to prepare this Tomato Rasam which gives added flavour to this Rasam.
2) The left out toor dal can be used to prepare Sambar.
3) I have used combination of Nattu tomato and Bangalore tomatoes, generally naatti/Naattu vartey gives more sour taste and Hybrid/Bangalore tomato gives nice red colour.