Chow Chow kootu/Chayote kootu is a Iyengar special kootu prepared with Chow Chow, Spices and Coconut.
- 2 Chow chow/Chayote (Skin peeled and chopped as cubes)
- 1/2 cup Moong dal
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- A small piece Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Pepper Cumin powder
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad adal
- A spring Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Ghee
1) Grind coconut, Curry powder and Pepper cumin powder to coarse mixture with out adding water and keep aside.
2) Wash and add 1/2 cup water, Chowchow, Turmeric powder, Hing, Salt to Moong dal. Pressure cook them for 1 whistle.
3) Add the ground mixture, salt to cooked chowchow, mix well and heat this kootu in medium flame till frothy.
4) Heat ghee in a kadai and add Mustard seeds to crackle next add urad dal and fry till light brown. Add curry leaves and give a quick mix. Pour this seasoning mixture on kootu and mix well.
Tasty Chow chow kootu is ready.
1) If you dont have curry powder and pepper cumin powders handy, take following ingredients -2 tsp Channa dal, 1 tsp Urad dal, 1 tbsp Corriander seeds, 1 tsp Cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp Pepper, A small piece Hing, 1 Red chilli. Roast them in a kadai adding few drops of oil, cool them and grind to coarse powder.
2) When grinding, you can also add few coriander leaves for extra flavour.