Agathi Keerai includes immerse health benefits and this Agathi keerai poriyal is one of the special recipe for Dwadasi paaranai.
My mom used to say that these leaves have medicinal value and removes toxins from body so it needs to be consumed occasionally and so this keerai is cooked only on Dwadashi days.
Names: August Tree leaves/Humming bird tree leaves (English)/Agathi Keerai (Tamil)/Agase Soppu (Kannada)/Avisi (Telugu)/Gaach Munga (Hindi)/Akatti (Malayalam)
- 1 Small Bunch Agathi Keerai
- 1/4 cup Split Yellow Moong dal
- 1/2 cup Coconut
- 1 tbsp Jaggery
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 Red chilli (Broken into pieces)
- 2 tsp Oil
1) Remove the leaves from stem. Wash and clean the leaves and set aside. Heat oil in a kadai/Pan and add Mustard seeds to crackle then add Urad dal to fry till light brown. Next add red chillies and fry.
2) Add Agathi keerais and sauté them in oil till keerai shrinks. Add Salt and jaggery to keerai and enough water to cook for few minutes. This Keerai takes time to get cooked completely.
3) Add Coconut, Moong dal and mix well. Leave it to get cooked for few more minutes and switch off the flame.
1) Adding Jaggery and Coconut helps to reduce the bitter taste so alter the quantity of Jaggery and Coconut according to your taste.
2) As we are adding moong dal at final stage it will not turn mushy and retains its crunchiness.