Vazhaithandu Mor kootu is a tasty dish prepared by cooking Banana stem in Coconut Curd gravy. Also this kootu goes well with vatha kuzhambu.
Banana Stem/Plantain stem/Vazhaithandu is rich in fibre and helps in weight loss. So include this veggie in your diet to get its health benefits.
- 1 Banana stem/Vazhaithandu
- 1/2 cup Curd
- As per taste Salt
- 1/4 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 Green chillies (Alter according to spice level)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Ginger (Skin peeled and chopped)
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves (Chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- A spring Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
1) Remove the outer layer of stem and scrap the next layer to get the inner most layer. Slice the stem into small pieces and put them in butter milk.
2) Grind the ingredients given in "To Grind" to smooth paste and keep aside.
3) Heat oil in a kadai and add Mustard seeds to crackle then add curry leaves and fry.
2) Drain buttermilk from Banana stem and add to kadai. Sprinkle few buttermilk and close it with a lid to cook (You can use the same buttermilk that used while chopping). Vazhaithandu will cook fast and will not require much water too.
3) After it is cooked, add salt and mix well.
4) Next add ground paste and Curd, mix well and leave it to cook till froth develops.
Tasty Banana Stem/Plantain Stem/Vazhaithandu Mor kootu is ready.
1) According to your taste, you can grind only Coconut, Green chillis and Cumin seeds as we do for Avial by skipping Coriander leaves and Ginger.
2) After adding curd don't leave it to cook for more time just a froth is enough.
Video on How to Chop Banana Stem: