Sambar Sadam/Kadamba Sadam is a tasty and protein rich recipe prepared with Rice and Toor dal.
Karnataka special Bisi Bele bath is prepared in the same way but with a special sambar powder prepared separately. I will soon post that recipe too. But in this Sambar Sadam recipe, we are using regular sambar powder that we use to make sambar.
- 1 cup Raw Rice
- 3/4 cup Toor Dal/Tuvaram paruppu
- 1 tbsp Sambar powder
- 1 Gooseberry size Tamarind
- 2 tsp Jaggery
- 1 tsp Fenugreek powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3 Red chillies
- 1/4 tsp Hing/Asafoetida
- A sping Curry leaves
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 15 Shallots/Sambar onions
- 2 Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1 Capsicum (Chopped)
- 1 Carrot (Chopped)
- 15 Beans (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Green peas
1) Soak Tamarind in warm water, wash Rice and Toor dal and keep aside. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add Mustard seeds to crackle. Then add Hing, Red chillies,Curry leaves and give a quick fry.
2) Now add Shallots/Sambar onions and fry till they turn light brown. Next add Tomatoes and all the veggies, fry them till tomatoes turn mushy.
3) Add Green peas, Sambar powder and mix well.
4) Add Rice and Toor dal to veggies mixture.
5) Add 5 cups of water and leave it to boil for 10 mins.
6) Make tamarid juice from soaked tamarind pulp. Add this tamarind juice, Salt and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
7) After it cools, open the lid and add Jaggery, Fenugreek powder, Coriander leaves and Ghee, mix well.
Tasty Sambar Sadam/Kadamba Sadam is ready.
1) If you don't have fenugreek powder, you can also add 1 tsp of whole fenugreek while frying Curry leaves.
2) If you prefer to add Coconut, you can add 2 tbsp of grated coconut or grind it to coarse mixture along with 2 tsp of Curry powder and add.
3) Toor dal quantity can be reduced to 1/2 cup if you don't want this rice to be heavy.
4) You can also use Parboiled rice instead of Raw rice.
5) If you don't want the rice to be turned mushy, cook dals and Rice separately and prepare sambar and mix them.
6) You can also add any other veggies like Potato, Raw banana, Drumstick, Brinjal, Lady's finger etc as per your choice.
7) If you want this Sambar sadam to be spicy, add 2 slit green chillies while frying veggies.