Carrot kheer/Carrot Payasam is a tasty and nutritious dessert prepared with Carrots. I have used Delhi carrots to prepare this kheer for its appealing red colour.
Another yummy dessert made with Delhi carrots are Gajar ka Halwa, I have already posted this recipe prepared with Organic Brown Sugar.
If you don't get Delhi carrots, you can also replace with normal ones to prepare this payasam.
- 2 Delhi Carrots (Skin peeled and Chopped)
- 1 litre (4 cups) Milk
- 6-7 tsp Sugar (Alter the quantity according to sweetness)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Silvered Almonds
1) Pressure cook the carrots for 4-5 whistles or till soft. I have kept the chopped carrots with out adding water in a bowl and pressure cooked it.
2) After it cools, mash it well with a blender alternatively you can also use potato masher to mash them and keep aside.
3) Boil milk in a heavy bottom kadai/Pan in medium flame till it reaches half of its quantity.
4) Now add mashed carrots and leave it to get cooked in milk for 10-15 mins in low flame.
5) Add Sugar, Cardamom powder and silvered almonds and mix well. Switch off the flame after 5 mins.
Tasty Carrot kheer/Carrot payasam is ready.
1) Instead of almonds, you can also add Cashews and Raisins roasted in ghee.