Foxtail millet/Thinai Onion uthappam is a tasty uthappam with loads of Millet Nutrients.
Foxtail millet( Thinai/Thenai-Tamil, Korra-Telugu, Navane-Kannada, Kangni-Hindi, Thina-Malayalam) is one of the millet variety which is rich in dietary fibre, protein and low in fat. This was one of the staple food consumed by our Ancestors, when white rice started dominating, sadly nutrition rich millets (siruthaniyangal) lost its importance.
Lets get started with these wonderful Millets in our diet to get a better health.
Ingredients for batter:
- 3 Cups Thinai/Foxtail Millet
- 1 Cup Idli Rice
- 1 Cup Whole Urad dal
- 2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- As required Salt
Method for Batter:
1) Mix Idli Rice, Foxtail Millet, Urad dal and Fenugreek together, wash and soak them for 3-4 hours.
2) Grind them to Idli/Dosa Batter consistency.
3) Leave the batter to ferment overnight.
Ingredients for uthappam:
- 1 cup Onion (Finely chopped)
- As required Foxtail Millet Batter (Adjust the consistency by adding water)
- As required Oil
1) Heat the Dosa tawa and spread oil.
2) Sprinkle the onion and spread the Foxtail millet batter over it. Drizzle oil around the uthappam.
3) Close it with a lid to cook in medium flame. Bottom portion would have got crispy layer and upper portion will be soft. Now flip it around once and serve hot.
For Side dish varieties, click here.