Coriander rice/Kothamalli Rice is a tasty rice that is prepared with Coriander leaves.
In this recipe, we are using kothamalli thokku to prepare this yummy rice.
Click on the picture to get the recipe of Kothamalli thokku.
- 2 cups Rice (Parboiled/Steamed)
- 2 tbsp Kothamalli thokku
- 1/2 Cup Green peas
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tbsp Grated coconut
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Broken Cashews
- 2 Red chillies
- A small piece Asafoetida/Hing
- A spring Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
Curry powder is an easy multi purpose powder that you can prepare at home. It comes handy when you prepare poriyal, kootu, sambar etc. I have already given separate post on how to prepare this powder in bulk, click here to get the recipe.
If you want to prepare this curry powder only for this Rice, follow this procedure.
Ingredients for curry powder:
1) Heat a kadai with a drop of cooking oil, add a small piece of Asafoetida after it gets roasted, add Red chillies and fry.
2) Then add Channa dal, Urad dal, Coriander seeds, fry till nice aroma arises. Let it cool down, then grind them to coarse mixture.
Method for Coriander Rice:
1) Pressure cook Green peas and Rice. I keep the green peas(with out adding water) in a small bowl above the rice and cook together in same pressure cooker.
2) Heat oil in a kadai and add Mustard seeds to crackles.
3) Then add Cashews and roast till light brown, now add Red chillies, curry leaves and Asafoetida and fry.
4) Add cooked Green peas to seasoned mixture and give a quick fry.
5) Now add Kothamalli thokku and mi well.
6) Add Curry powder, Salt and mix well. As kothamalli thokku already has salt in it, so add less salt to this rice.
7) Switch off the flame and add cooked rice. Mi them well.
8) Finally add grated coconut and mix again.
Tasty Coriander Rice is ready.Tips:1) You can also replace cashews with Roasted ground nuts.2) I always use parboiled or steamed Rice (puzhungal arisi) for all variety rice since the rice wont stick together and comes as separate grains when cooked. You can also replace it with Raw rice if you dont have steamed rice.