Parangikai Mupparuppu Sambar/Yellow pumpkin three dals Sambar is a tasty sambar which is made with 3 dals/lentils (Masoor dal, Toor dal and Moong dal). This Sambar goes well with Rice as well as serves as side dish for Idli, Dosa, upma and all breakfast dishes.
- 1 cup Parangikai/Yellow Pumpkin (Skin peeled and chopped as big pieces)
- 1/3 cup Toor dal
- 1/3 cup Masoor dal
- 1/3 cup Yellow moong dal
- 3 Tomatoes (Chopped finely)
- 2 Green chillies (Slit length wise)
- 1 tbsp Sambar powder
- 1 Lemon size Tamarind
- 2 Springs Curry leaves (Chopped finely)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (Chopped finely)
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- A small piece Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp Oil
1) Wash and pressure cook all the dals (Toor dal, Yellow moong dal and Massor dal) together with a pinch of Turmeric powder. Soak Tamarind in warm water for 20 minutes then extract the Tamarind juice from it.
2) Heat oil in a kadai/Pan and add Mustard seeds to crackle, then add Asafoetida and fenugreek seeds and fry them in low flame to avoid fenugreek seeds getting burnt.
3) Add tomatoes and green chillies, fry them till tomatoes gets cooked and leaves oil on sides.
4) Now add Sambar powder and sauté for a minute then add 1 cup of water. Close it with a lid and cook it in low flame.
5) After the Parangikai/Yellow pumpkins are cooked and turns soft, add the cooked dal and mix well. Let it boil for few more minutes.
6) Add Tamarind juice and Salt, leave it to boil for few more minutes.
7) Switch off the flame and garnish with Curry leaves and Coriander leaves.
Tasty Mupparuppu Parangikai Sambar is ready.