This Idli upma/Idli usili is a tasty as well as easy to make breakfast. I am a great fan of this Idli usili which my mom makes the next day with left over idlis.
If I am preparing Idlis for dinner, I prepare extra idlis for this upma. The next day morning, I prepare this upma with left over idlis. Even if your idlis are hard, it will still give you delicious upma.
Interested in recipe of Idli , click here.
- 10-12 Left over Idlis
- 2 medium size Onions (Finley Chopped)
- 3 Tomatoes (Finley Chopped)
- 2 Green Chillies (Slit length wise)
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves (Finely Chopped)
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Channa dal/Bengal gram
- 2 tspUrad dal
- 1 tbsp Cashews (split)
- 2 Red chillies
- Few Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/Hing
- 2 tbsp Oil
1) Crumble the idlis with your fingers and keep aside. It will be not be possible to crumble the hot idlis so let it cool down before crumbling.
2) Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds to crackle. Then add Asafoetida, Cashews, Channa dal and Urad dal, fry till golden brown.
3) Add Turmeric powder, Red chillies and Curry leaves and mix them well. Add Onion, Tomatoes and green chillies and fry till tomatoes turn mushy.
4) Add Salt and crumbled idlis and mix well.
5) Mix grated coconut and sauté for few minutes.
6) Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
1) You can also add finely chopped capsicum while adding onions.