Paal Rava Kesari (Milk sooji Halwa) is a tasty dessert made of sooji (semolina/rava) cooked in milk. The difference between Paal Rava Kesari and Rava kesari is that Rava is cooked in milk for Paal Rava Kesari and Rava is cooked in water for Rava Kesari. In this paal rava kesari milk taste dominates.
- 1 cup Rava/sooji
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 litre milk
- 1/2 cup Ghee
- Few strands Saffron
- 1 tbsp Broken Cashews
- A pinch Cardamom
1) Head a kadai with ghee and add rava. Roast the rava in low flame till nice aroma comes. Transfer the rava to a plate.
2) In the same kadai add milk and let it boil for few minutes. Then add saffron and mix well. Allow the milk to boil few more minutes with saffron. This will help the saffron to release colour and blend with milk.
3) Add rava slowly to milk and stir the milk continuously to avoid forming of lumps. Keep the flame in low through out this process as it might get burnt easily.
4) After rava gets cooked, add sugar. Mix well and stir continuously.
5) The kesari will start thickening, at this time add Cashews, Ghee and cardamom. Mix well and switch off the flame.
1) I always prefer adding cashews with out roasting in ghee, you can roast it in ghee before adding to kesari.
2) Adding Ghee gives nice flavour and taste to this Paal kesari so dont compromise on it.
3) I have used thick (full cream) milk to prepare this kesari so that the milk taste dominates well.
4) I don't prefer adding food colour as my saffron itself gave nice colour, generally yellow or orange food colour is added to kesari.
5) You can reduce or increase the sugar according to your taste.