Black gram/Black Urad dal vadai is a tasty and healthy snack. Generally Medhu vadai/Urad dal vadai is made of urad dal with out skin but I wanted to try the same snack with black outer skin. To my surprise, it tasted so yummy same as medhu vadai and only one difference that I can see is the dark colour which didn't trouble me at all.
- 1 cup Split Black Urad dal/Karuppu ulundhu
- A pinch Asafoetida/Hing
- As per taste Salt
- For frying Oil
To Grind coarsely:
- 1/4 cup Grated coconut
- 2 Green chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 small piece ginger (skin peeled)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
1) Soak Split Urad dal/ Ulundu for 1 hour.
2) After 1 hour, when you drain the water you might lose few black skin with water. No issues, most of the skin would be retained.
3) Grind the Urad dal with skin to a thick batter with out adding much of water. Just sprinkle water now and then.
4) Mix Salt, Asafoetida and ground mixture to Urad dal batter.
5) Heat oil in a kadai, take few batter and shape as vadai and drop in oil. For detailed procedure on how to shape vadai, click here
6) After one side is cooked, flip it around to cook both sides.
7) Take the vadai out of oil and put it on paper napkins to drain excess oil.
1) I have prepared a NO ONION recipe, you can also add 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion too.