Tasty Restaurant style dal fry is a popular punjabi recipe which is served with roti, paratha and Rice.
I have used only toor dal to prepare this recipe. You can also prepare this Dal fry with Yellow moong dal or Masoor dal or all dals combined together.
- 1 cup toor dal/Pigeon pea
- 2 Onions
- 3 Tomatoes
- 2 Green chillies
- A pinch Turmeric powder
- A pinch Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- As per taste Salt
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
1) Add turmeric powder, Asafoetida and a drop of oil to toor dal with enough water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. Once it is cooked, mash the dal with a ladle.
2) Grate onions and keep aside.
3) Heat oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds to crackle. Then add grated onion and fry in low flame to cook.
4) While onions are getting cooked, grate tomatoes and green chillies and keep aside.
5) After onion turns light brown and leaves oil, add grated tomatoes and green chillies. Fry this mixture in medium flame till they get cooked and leaves oil on the sides.
6) Add cooked toor dal , salt and enough water, let it cook in low flame for 10 mins.
7) Garnish with Kasuri methi and coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Yummy Restaurant style dal fry is ready to be served with hot rotis, parathas or Rice.
1) In step 4, while grating tomatoes you might see the skin getting peeled, you can add them too.