Authentic Kerala breakfast Puttu is prepared using this Chemba puttu podi. This puttu powder is made of Red rice which is a better alternative for white rice.
So I wanted to try the Navarathri special Arisi Vella puttu with this Chemba puttu podi replacing white rice flour (pacharisi maavu) .
- 2 cups Chemba puttu powder
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 1/2 cup Grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 3 tsp Nuts powder* (optional)
Dry roast Badam, Cashew nut, Walnut, Pumpkin seeds, Melon seeds and grind to coarse powder.
1) Take the puttu powder in a bowl and sprinkle water little by little and keep mixing.
2) Take wet puttu podi in your palm, it should hold together and when you press it. It should break immediately when you drop it. This is the correct consistency. Adding too much water makes it mushy and less water will lead to puttu not getting cooked.
3) Steam this puttu either using puttu steamer or spreading this powder over a muslin cloth on Idly plates.
4) Cool down and break lumps if any.
5) Add water to jaggery and heat it in a kadai. After jaggery gets dissolved completely, strain to remove impurities.
6) Heat this strained jaggery syrup in a kadai to prepare the syrup. To check the correct consistency, drop a pinch of syrup in a bowl of water. Th syrup should not get dissolved, instead it will form a ball.
7) Now add the puttu powder to syrup and mix well till all syrup gets absorbed by puttu powder. Switch off the flame.
8) Finally add Cardamon powder, grated coconut, Ghee and nuts powder. Mix well.
Tasty and healthy puttu is ready
Nuts powder is optional, instead you can fry few cashews in ghee and add.
I have used Organic jaggery so it was dark in colour, generally paagu vellam is used.