Millets are healthy alternative for polished white Rice. Foxtail millet( Thinai/Thenai-Tamil, Korra-Telugu, Navane-Kannada, Kangni-Hindi, Thina-Malayalam) one of the millet variety which is rich in dietary fibre, protein and low in fat. Also this millet is highly recommended to those people having diabetes as it releases glucose steadily.
Earlier this was one among the staple food, when Rice started dominating these millets (siruthaniyangal) slowly started losing its importance.
Do you know why its name is called FOXTAIL MILLET????????? because the seed part of this crop is dense and hairy and looks like a tail of a fox. Interesting isnt it??? Another interesting fact is that this food crop grows fast in a short period.
- 1 cup Thinai maavu (Foxtail millet flour)
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Rice flour
- 2 tbsp rava/sooji
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp pepper (crush them coarsely)
- A small piece or 1/4 tsp Hing/Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Curry leaves (chopped finely)
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves (chopped finely)
- As per needed Salt
- 1/4 cup cabbage (chopped finely)
- 1/4 cup Capsicum (chooped finely)
- 1/4 cup carrot (grated)
- 2 Green chilli (finely chopped)
1) Mix wheat flour, foxtail millet flour, rice flour, sooji, curry leaves, Asafoetida and Salt in a bowl with enough water and no lumps. This mixture should be little watery consistency.
2) Let it rest for 3- 4 hours.
3) Now add all veggies, corrinder leaves, cumin seeds, pepper and mix well.
5) Now drizzle oil around dosa also inside the circle where you find gap to cook in medium flame. This dosa demands more oil and more time to get cooked and to become crispy.
6) Flip it around to cook the top portion after the bottom portion is done.
1) You get the readymade Foxtailmillet flour in stores but if you couldnt get one. You can buy Foxtail millet grain and grind it in mixer then sieve it to get the flour. The left out rava can be added to adai or pesarattu. I have prepared the flour for thattai recipe, Click here for step by step pics
2) You can also add chopped onions and skip all other veggies. Also alter the veggies according to your taste.