Chow chow (Chayote squash) poriyal is a tasty and healthy curry.
Do you know that Chayote is actually a fruit (like tomato) which is being used as vegetable?.....sounds interesting right. Yes and comming to nutrition part this chow chow vegetable is a low in calorie and rich in fibre veggie, so it helps to control cholesterol also to manage your weight.
Okay lets go to our recipe of Chow Chow poriyal.
- 500 gms Chow Chow
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- As per taste Salt
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split Urad dal
1) Peel the skin and chop vertically into two pieces. Remove the white seed in the middle and chop them into small cubes.
2) Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds. After it crackles, add urad dal.
3) After it turns light brown, add chopped chowchow and salt. Fry for 2 mins.
4) Sprinkle few water and close it with a lid to cook.
5) After it get cooked, add grated coconut and switch off the flame.
1) Adding more water will make the curry mushy so make sure to sprinkle water little by little while cooking chow chow. Also make sure to cook in low flame to avoid the curry getting burnt.