Avarakkai/Indian Broad beans is one of the fibre rich veggies and highly recommended for those having Sugar problem (Diabetes). Also Avarakkai is one of the veggie allowed in pathiya samayal (post partum food). This Avarakkai curry/Stir fry is a simple and tasty side dish for rasam, sambar, vatha kuzhambu rice.
- 500 gms Avarakkai
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split urad dal
- 1 tbsp Oil
1) Wash and trim the edges of Avarakkai and chop them.
2) Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds.
3) Add urad dal and fry till it turns light brown.
4) Add chopped avarakkai and fry for few mins.
5) Add salt and little water (around 2 tbsp), close the kadai with a lid to cook on medium flame.
6) Check after few mins whether it is cooked, you can sprinkle water if it is not cooked completely. But make sure that it doesn't get burnt.
7) Once avarakkai is cooked add grated coconut and mix well. Swich off the flame immediately.
Tasty and healthy avarakkai poriyal is ready.