Vellai poosanikai/white pumpkin/Ash gourd kootu is a tasty recipe and grabs its place in lunch menu of South Indian (Tamil) weddings.
250 gms Ash gourd
1/4 cup Toor dal
1 tbsp Tamarind paste
1/2 tsp Jaggery
1 tbsp Raw peanut
A pinch Asafoetida
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
As per taste salt
2 tbsp Curry powder
2 tbsp Grated coconut
Few Coriander leaves
1 Green chilli
1 tsp Mustard seeds
Few Curry leaves
1 tsp Oil
1) Peel outer green skin and remove the seeds. Now Chop the ash gourd/white pumpkin/vellai poosanikai into cubes.
2) Wash the toor dal and pressure cook with ash gourd, turmeric, Asafoetida and peanuts.
3) Grind the ingredients given in "To Grind".
4) Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds. After it crackles, add curry leaves and Ashguord dal mixture.
5) Add ground mixture, Tamarind, jaggery and Salt to kadai.
6) Boil them for 10 mins in low flame.
Tasty kootu is ready....
1) Instead of peanuts you can use black channa, but make sure to soak it overnight.
2) Tamarind paste can be prepared by soaking tamarind in hot water for 15-20 mins. Then extract the juice and discard the pulp.
3) Pressure cooking dal, ashgourd and peanuts together will save time. You can use a small 1 litre cooker and pressure cook it directly in the cooker.