Yummy chettinadu special Kuzhipaniyaram is turned more nutritious with millets and veggies. This is one of the best evening time snack for kids which is tasty and healthy as well. I have used Saamai/Samai (Little millet) and Thinai arisi (Foxtail millet) to prepare this paniyaram. Lets get started....
First lets see the
Procedure to prepare the batter:
- 1 Cup Samai (Littlemillet)
- 1 Cup Thinai Arisi (Foxtail millet)
- 1/2 cup Whole Urad dal
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1) Soak all ingredients except Salt for 2-3 hours.
2) Grind it to Idli batter consistency, that is batter should not be smooth one. When you press a pinch of batter you should be able to see fine rava like particles.
3) Add Salt to batter and mix well.
4) Let it ferment overnight.
Your Thinai Samai batter is ready.
Procedure for Paniyaram:
- 1 Cup Thinai Samai batter
- 1/4 Cup Grated coconut
- As per taste salt
Veggies for paniyaram:
- 2 tbsp Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Cabbage (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Capsicum (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Ginger (Skin peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Green chilli (finely chopped)
- Few curry leaves (finely chopped)
- Few Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 1 tsp Split Urad dal
- 1 tsp Oil
- A pinch Asafoetida
1) Add grated coconut, salt and veggies to the batter and mix well.
2) Season the ingredients given in "For Seasoning" and add to batter. Mix the batter well.
3) Heat Kuzhipaniyaram pan and add oil in all kuzhis.
4) Let the heat be in medium flame, and pour a tbsp of batter in each kuzhis.
5) Close it with a lid to cook. After few mins, open the lid and check whether the paniyaram has puffed up and has got cooked.
6) Once it is done, turn around with the paniyaram stick or rod to cook other side. No need to close it the pan.
7) When the other side turns golden brown, take the paniyarams one by one from the pan and do the same for next batches.
Crispy paniyarams are ready to be served with tomato sauce.
1) You can use the same batter to prepare sweet paniyaram and Dosa also.
2) Instead of adding raw veggies, you can do a little fry in same kadai after seasoning.
3) You can also add carrot, or beetroot, or Nool kol or radish, its better to grate them and add. During green peas season, you can add peas also. The more veggies you add more nutrition will get inside.