Manathakkali keerai (Tamil)/Black nightshade (English)/Kaashi soppu (Kannada) is one of the wonderful keerai with many nutrients but was least used by all because of its bitter taste. If any one tells you to include lots of greens/keerai in your food, immediately what green comes to our mind?........YES it is Palak. Using other keerais like arakeerai, sirukeerai, manathakkali keerai are slowly deteriorating mainly because of their taste. Each keerai/green has its own health benefits so it is better to include variety of keerais for better health. This kootu is so tasty that you wouldn't find a hint that it is made of manathakkali leaves. Interested to know about its health benefits, click here.
- 1 bunch Manathakkali keerai
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- A pinch turmeric powder
- As per taste Salt
- 2 tbsp Curry powder
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Split Urad dal
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
1) Pressure cook toor dal with turmeric powder and Asafoetida.
2) Remove only the leaves from the stem and wash them well. Heat a kadai and drop the manathakkali leaves in kadai.
3) The leaves will get cooked leaving few water.
4) Transfer them to a bowl to cool down.
5) Grind the ingredients given in "To Grind", in the same mixer add the leaves and grind to coarse mixture.
6) Heat a kadai and add ghee. Add cumin seeds, after it crackles add Urad dal. Once the dal turns light brown colour add the ground mixture.
7) Let this mixture boil for 5 mins, add cooked toor dal and mix well.
8) Add salt to manathakkali keerai and mix well.