Gooseberry/Amla/Periya Nellikai is a Vitamin C rich fruit which should be consumed regularly. This Nellikai sadam is easy to make and full of Vitamin C. This helps you to stay away from common cold and cough. For more health benefits of Amla, click here
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 Gooseberry (Grated)
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- Few coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 Onion (Finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- 2 Red chillies
- A pinch Asafoetida
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
1) Heat oil in a kadai and temper mustard seeds.
2) After it crackles, add rest of the ingredients given in "For Seasoning" and fry for a min.
3) Switch off the flame and add grated Gooseberry and Coconut and mix well. Heat of the kadai is enough to cook these two also we will not loose much of our Vitamin C.
4) Add Rice and Curry powder, mix them well.
5) Finally add Salt and coriander leaves and mix again.
1) Make sure to cook Rice as separate grains for Amla rice. Puzhungal arisi (parboiled) rice is best suited one.
2) Adding 1 finely chopped green chilli while seasoning increases the spiciness.
3) Adding 4-5 split cashews increases the richness. If you want to avoid cashews, try peanuts.
4) You can do the same recipe with out coconut or onion.
5) Want to add more vitamin C to rice, add 1 more grated Amla/nellikai.
6) Curry powder gives nice flavour to this rice, if you like it plain you can skip this powder.