The forgotten traditional recipe Nartha ilai/Naartha elai (leaves of Citron) podi is a healthy alternative for pickle. This Vitamin C rich podi is a great combo for curd rice.
- 4 cups Nartha ilai
- 5-8 Red chillies
- A green peas size Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp Sesame oil
- As per taste Salt
How to select and clean leaves:
1) Select the green leaves (medium sized) and make sure not to use dried ones.
2) Wash the leaves and wipe them using soft cloth.
3) Spread them on a clean cotton cloth and leave them to dry overnight.
4) Next day, remove the mid rib (nadu narambu) from each leaf.
1) Heat a kadai and dry roast the leaves till they become crisp.
2) Remove the leaves from kadai and transfer it to a plate to cool down.
3) In the same kadai add oil and roast Asafoetida then add Red chillies. Saute it for a min and add this mixture to leaves.
4) Grind it with Salt.
Your tasty podi is ready. This can be stored in an airtight container and stays fresh for months.
1) Spice level can be altered according to your taste by adding or reducing quantity of Red chillies.