Curry leaves is one of the easily available greens which includes lots nutrients. Sadly these leaves are thrown out of plate and we lose its health benefits. This thogayal/thuvayal is made by grinding the leaves and so the nutrients are preserved for our health. Also I am including another valuable ingredient "Pirandai"in this thogayal. Do you wanna know more about Pirandai, click this link
If you don't get pirandai, you can skip it and grind the thogayal with rest of the ingredients. In this case add 4 cups curry leaves.
- 3 cup Curry leaves
- 1 cup Pirandai (clean and chop them to pieces)
- 1 cup whole urad dal
- 1 or 2 Red chilli
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- A green peas size Asafoetida/Hing
- A size of gooseberry Tamarind
- 1/2 tsp powdered jaggery
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
- As per taste salt
How to select Pirandai:
1) Choose the tender stem and scrap off the angular edges and node. Apply sesame oil in hands before handling pirandai to avoid itchiness.
1) Heat a kadai, add 1/2 tsp oil and roast pirandai in low flame till it gets cooked. And transfer it to a plate to cool down.
2) Add curry leaves to same kadai and dry roast for 10 mins in low flame and transfer.
4) Sauté Asfoetida, Red chilli, pepper and tamarind for few secs. Transfer it to the same plate to cool down.
6) Now sauté Urad dal till golden brown.
7)First, grind Asafotida, Redchilli, Pepper, Tamarind, Salt & jaggery next add Urad dal to the mixer and grind. Finally add Curry leaves & Pirandai with water and grind.
1) Instead of thogayal, you can grind it as dry powder with out adding water. This dry powder can be strored in airtight container. You can either consume it as powder by adding to rice or add few hot water and grind it once in mixer for ready made thogayal.