Vazhaipoo (Plantain flower) has become one of the rare entry in kitchen. Mainly for cleaning it and secondly the taste is not that appealing to many. But if you check the health benefits a list goes on and on. This Vazhaipoo paruppu usili is very tasty and I am sure even kids will love it.
- 1 Plantain flower
- 1/2 cup Toor dal
- 1 laddle full channa dal
- 2 Red chilli
- A pinch Turmeric powder
- A pinch Asafoetida
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
1) Clean and soak toor dal and bengal gram together for 1/2 hour in warm water.
2) Drain the water completely and grind coarsely with red chilli, Asafoetida, turmeric powder and salt.
3) Steam the grounded dal. Steaming can be done in pressure cooker with out placing weight or in idly cooker or in electric rice cooker.
4) Insert a tooth pick to check whether it has steamed. If it comes with out sticking then it has got steamed properly.
5) Keep aside to cool down.
For detailed and other method to prepare paruppu usili, click here
How to Clean and cut Vazhaipoo:
Click here for detailed procedure to clean and cut vazhaipoo.
Method to cook Vazhai poo:
1) Add salt and turmeric powder to vazhaipoo with butter milk.
2) Pressure cook it.
Method to prepare final recipe:
1) Crumble the paruppu usili with hands. Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add crumbled paruppu usili and fry for few mins. Keep aside.
2) Now drain water from plantain flower. Heat the same kadai with 1 tsp of oil, add plantain flower and salt. Fry for few mins so that salt gets mixed well.
3) Add paruppu usili to vazhaipoo and mix well. Switch off the flame after few secs.
Tasty and healthy Vazhai poo paruppu usili is ready to be served. It goes well with mor kuzhambu.
1) If you don't prefer to pressure cook vazhaipoo, you can drain butter milk and add directly to kadai with oil. Add salt and sauté for few secs to cook it.
2) Paruppu usili can be prepared in another way, instead of steaming you can directly add to kadai with oil and fry. This method will take more oil and tastier too. Click here to see detailed procedure.