Coconut rice is a tasty dish and it is loved by all from kids to elders. It goes well with potato fry, vathal, vadam and chips. It is quick to prepare and yummy as well.
- 2 cups Cooked rice
- 1 cup Freshly grated Coconut
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp Urad dal
- 2 Red chillies
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
- a pinch Asafoetida
- 10-12 Cashew nuts
- Few Curry leaves
1) Rice needs to be cooked as separate grains and spread it on a wide plate to cool down.
2) Heat oil in a kadai add mustard seeds, after they splutter add urad dal and saute till light brown.
3) Add red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for few secs.
4) Transfer them to the plate with cooked rice.
5) In same kadai add ghee and when it melts add cashews and fry till light brown. Then add grated coconut and saute for a min.
6) Transfer these to same plate.
7) Add salt to rice and mix all the ingredients well.
I have skipped adding channa dal in seasoning, it gives a crunchy taste. You can add a tsp of channa dal while seasoning.
I prefer the coconut rice to be sweet in taste so I have skipped adding green chillies. You can add 1 finely chopped
Green chilly also a tsp of chopped coriander leaves.
Another variation is adding saute peanut instead of cashews.
1) I prefer steamed rice variety instead of raw rice for this coconut rice so that it comes as separate grains nicely.
2) Freshly broken coconut is then grated and used for this rice. It enhances the taste when you add freshly grated coconut.
3) Finally adding a tsp of coconut oil and mixing well gives a nice aroma.