This pickle is very tasty and goes well with curd rice. We need to chop all the veggies (carrot, capsicum, beans and bitter gourd) in same size (vertical pieces). Speciality of this pickle is, the veggies that you add will be crunchy and half cooked.
This pickle is not suitable for long storage, you can keep it maximum for a week's time. It is advisable to prepare it in small quantity and finish of as soon as possible.
- 4 Tomatoes (cut into small pieces)
- 1 Capsicum
- 1/4 Bitter guard
- 1 small Snake guard
- 1/2 cup Chopped Cauliflower (Cut as big florets)
- 10 Beans
- 10 Cow peas (Karamani)
- 1 Big Carrot
- 10 small pieces Ginger
- 1 tsp Fenugreek powder
- A pinch of sugar
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida powder
- 1 cup Sesame oil
1) Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds.
2) After it splutters, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, chilli powder.
3) Add the veggies (tomatoes, capsicum, bitter gourd, beans, carrot, snake guard and ginger) after a min. of sautéing.
4) Sauté them continuously in low flame till the veggies gets half cooked.
5) Now add salt and sauté again till the oil gets separated.
6) Add fenugreek powder and sugar and mix well and turn off the gas.
Your mixed veggie pickle is ready.
1) Make sure that you wash and dry the veggies before chopping them.
2) Always use clean dry spoon for pickles.
3) Every time you consume the pickle, just stir the remaining pickle completely.
4) If you are using the Asafoetida bar piece (compounded hing), you have to add asafoetida bar piece to oil first then add mustard seeds.
5) When adding the turmeric, chilli and asafoetida powder, make sure you keep in low flame as they might get burnt in high flame.
6) If you get Pirandai ((Edible Stemmed Vine) or (Cissus quandrangularis)), take the tender ones. Cut them into small pieces, add them to a kadai with few drops of oil, sauté them for a min. Add this pirandai to normal veggies, while sautéing them.
7) If you want to finish of this pickle soon, you can take a small pressure cooker and do the sautéing directly in cooker. Close the lid for a whistle, open it and add fenugreek powder, salt and sugar. But this pickle might not be as crunchy as the other one and lasts only for 1 or 2 days.
This recipe is sent to