This brown rice upma is a tasty and nutritious upma. Traditional rice upma is made of raw rice but including whole grains in our food is good for our health, so I have replaced polished Raw rice to a healthy wholesome brown rice.
- 1 cup Brown rice
- 21/2 Cups Water
- 2 tbsp Toor dal
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ginger (Skin peeled and chopped finely)
- 1/4 cup Grated coconut
- 1 tsp Ghee
- As per taste Salt
Finely chopped Veggies:
- 1/4 cup Beans (Finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Cabbage (Finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Capsicum (Finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Carrot (Finely chopped)
- 1 Tomato (Finey chpped)
- 1/4 cup Green peas
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Channa dal
- 2 tsp Split Urad dal
- 2 Red chillies
- A small piece Asafoetida/Hing
- A sping Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil
1) Wash and clean the Brown rice, drain the water. Keep aside for half an hour.
2) Heat a kadai, add this washed rice and fry till it comes as separate grains then leave it to cool.
3) Grind Rice, Toor dal, Cumin seeds and pepper to coarse mixture.
4) Heat oil in a kadai and add Mustard seeds to splutter, then add asafoetida, channa dal, urad dal, Red chillies, Curry leaves and sauté till light brown in colour.
5) Add the Veggies, Ginger and fry them for few minutes. Next add the ground rava, mix well and fry for few minutes.
6) Add water, salt and leave it to boil till it gets half cooked. Next add grated coconut and mix well.
7) Transfer these contents to pressure cooker and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
8) After the pressure subsides, open the cooker and garnish the upma with Coriander leaves and ghee.
Tasty Brown rice upma is ready.
1) Instead of kadai, you can also do this upma directly in pressure cooker.
2) Adding lemon juice finally gives nice tangy taste.