Pavakkai/ Bitter gourd is one vegetable which is least preferred especially among kids because of its bitter taste. But Bitter gourd is dense with precious nutrients also it is one of the diabetic friendly veggie as it lowers blood glucose levels.
This recipe is my mom's special recipe and I follow the same method. My son never troubled me in eating pavakkai poriyal. Try this recipe to make your kids eat this bitter bitter pavakkai.
- 2 Pavakai (Bittergourd)
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp powdered Jaggery
- 1 tbsp diluted tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Grated coconut
- As per taste salt
- 1 laddle (kuzhi karandi) oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp split urad dal
1) Slice the pavakkai into small pieces.
2) Add turmeric powder and 1/2 tbsp tamarind paste to bitter gourd and mix well.
3) Pressure cook bitter gourd (Usually I keep it in separate vessel in same pressure cooker in which I cook rice). Bitter gourd needs to be cooked well but should not get mashed. Also it might have left some water so drain the water and keep aside.
5) Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds to crackle. After they crackle, add urad dal.
6) After it turns light brown, add cooked bitter gourd and mix well.
9) Add salt, 1/2 tamarind paste, jaggery and cook it in low flame for 10-15 mins to get toasted.
10) After it gets toasted, add veggie powder and grated coconut. Mix them and switch off the flame.
Tasty Pavakkai poriyal is ready.