Paal payasam/Rice Kheer/Akki payasa is a traditional dessert prepared with Rice and milk.
Payasam/Kheer always grabs special place during festivals and parties. And Paal payasam is the most favourite one for all.
- 1 ladle Raw Rice
- 1 litre Whole Milk
- A pinch Saffron
- 5-6 tsp Sugar (alter according to your sweetness)
1) In a kadai, add ghee and roast rice in low flame till nice aroma.
2) Now add milk also a ladle and leave it to boil in low flame with occasional stirring.
3) Add Saffron and leave rice to get cooked in milk. This process takes 1-11/2 hours till milk reduces to half of its quantity.
4) After the rice is completely cooked, add sugar and mix well.
Yummy Paal payasam is ready...
1) I have used Sona Masoori rice, you can also use Basmathi Rice. Some prefers to grind the roasted rice to a coarse mixture and cook it in milk.
2) You can also roast Cashews and Raisins in ghee and add to payasam.
3) Instead of cooking rice in milk for such a long time, you can also do a short cut. Add a ladle of already cooked rice to milk and boil. After few minutes add condensed milk to get thick creamy consistency.
4) You can also add Cardamom powder for extra flavour. I skipped adding it as I love the milk flavour in paal payasam.
1) If payasam thickens after some time, you can add boiled milk to adjust the consistency also check the sweetness accordingly.