Yummy Onion pakodas/pakoras are one of the most popular snack which is made of chickpea flour.
- 1/2 cup Gram flour/Chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup Rice flour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- A pinch Asafoetida/Hing
- 2 Onions (Sliced vertically)
- 1 Green chilli (chopped finely)
- A spring curry leaves
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Ghee/Clarified butter
- For frying Oil
1) Mix the flours (Besan/gram flour and Rice flours)in a bowl.
2) Separately mix Red chilli powder, turmeric powder, Asafoetida, ghee and salt together with little water (around 1 tbsp).
2) Now add green chillies, curry leaves and onions to flour mixture.
3) Add the spice mixture to flour mixture (step 2). If you feel you need more water, you can sprinkle. Be cautious if more water is added the onion will not stick to besan flour.
4) Heat oil in a kadai, put a pinch of pakoda mixture in oil to test the temperature for frying. If the pakoda raises with bubbles then its fine.
5) Add the mixture to oil slowly, you need to add in sprinkling manner.
6) Fry them until golden brown.
Crispy pakodas are ready.
1) If you are using Asafoetida powder, you can add directly to mixture. If you are using bar asafoetida, put a small piece in water before an hour. After an hour, asafoetida will get dissolved then follow step 2 to add spice mix to this asafoetida water.
2) Normally a pinch of baking soda is added, but it is a complete no in my kitchen.
3) Instead of ghee, a tbsp of hot oil can also be added.