|Narthangai Sweet pachadi|
Narthangai Sweet pachadi/Citron Sweet Pachadi is a traditional recipe prepared with nutrition rich Citron.
Narthangai belongs to Lemon variety with more tangy taste and dominating flavour. This green coloured unripe fruit is one of my favourite and has loads of medicinal value. The ripe Narthangais turns yellow in colour and also referred as Bitter Orange.
We have big Narthangai tree in my mom's place and it gives loads of Narthangais during season. My mom makes many varieties of recipes like Narthangai pickle, Narthangai sadam, Narthangai juice and Narthangai sweet pachadi. This time my dad bought me few unripe Narthangais grown in our backyard Narthangai tree. First, I tried this Narthangai Sweet pachadi and then will try rest of the recipes and post one by one.
This Narthangai pachadi was tasting like Jam and we even used it as a spread for bread and rotis.
- 2 Narthangais/Citron
- 1 cup Jaggery (alter according to sour taste of Narthangai)
- 1/2 cup Kalkandu powder
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- A pinch Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Oil
1) Peel the outer green skin and get the fruit portion. Now separate each fruit pieces and de-seed them. Again, separate the inner juicy pulp portion from the white skin.
2) I got 2 cups of pulpy portion from the 2 Narthangais. Take that pulpy portion in a mixer and do 1 or 2 pulse.
3) Transfer the pulpy juice to a kadai, add jaggery, salt and Kalkandu powder.
4) Heat the Narthangai mixture in medium flame till it thickens.
5) Add cardamom powder and switch off the flame.
6) Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds to crackle. Pour this mixture on top of pachadi.
Yummy Nathangai Sweet pachadi/Citron Sweet Pachadi is ready.
1) You can also add 1 red chilli while doing the seasoning for spicy taste.