Karntaka special Hannu huruli Palya/ Ripe beans Sundal is a protien rich palya.
These Hannu hurulis are available in plenty during its season in Karnataka. I have already prepared North Indian style Hannu huruli Gravy with these Ripe beans.
- 1/2 kg Hannu huruli/Ripe beans (with outer layer)
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Lemon juice
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 2 Red chillies (Broken as halves)
- 1 Green chilli (Finely chopped)
- A spring Curry leaves
- A pinch Hing
- 2 tsp Oil
1) Remove the Ripe beans (Hannu Hurulikayi) from the outer layer and discard the outer layer. This is similar to how we do for Green peas.
2) Wash and add enough water to Ripe beans, just to immerse the beans is enough.
3) Pressure cook it for 2 whistles. After it cools, add Salt and leave 1 more whistle. This will help the beans to absorb salt.
4) After it cools, open the lid and drain water from Cooked Hannu huruli. If you don't want to discard this water, you can add it to Rasam or Sambar.
5) Heat oil in a kadai and add Mustard seeds to crackle. Add Urad dal and fry till light brown. Next add Red chillies, Green chilli, Hing, Curry leaves and give a quick mix.
6) Now add cooked Hannu huruli and mix well. You can add some extra salt if you want or skip it since we have already added while cooking Hannu hurulis.
7) Add grated coconut and mix well. Switch off the flame, add Coriander leaves, Lemon juice and mix well.
Yummy Hannu huruli palya/Ripe Beans Sundal is ready...
1) You can also add 1 finely chopped onion while seasoning and fry before adding cooked hannu hurulis.
2) You can also add finely chopped ginger as per your taste.