This Kollu Rasam is a tasty flavourful Rasam that goes well with Hot Rice.
Horsegram is one of the legume that is highly recommended for Weight loss.
Names: Horsegram (English)/Kollu (Tamil)/Ulava (Telugu)/Hurali (Kannada)/Muthira (Malayalam)/Kulthi (Hindi)
- 1 Cup Horse gram/Kollu
- 2 Tomatoes (Finely chopped)
- A goose berry size Tamarind
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- A spring Curry leaves (Chopped roughly)
- As per taste Salt
- 3-4 Garlic pods
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Cuimn seeds
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (chopped roughly)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- A small piece Asafoetida/Hing
- 2 Red chillies (Broken into half)
- A spring Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Ghee
1) Soak tamarind in warm water and extract juice from pulp.
2) Soak kollu overnight, next day drain water and add fresh water. Pressure cook kollu for 2-3 whistles. I have used sprouted kollu, if you want to sprout the kollu transfer it to a cotton cloth and wrap it. Small sprouts will start developing in after 6-7 hours. Also I keep the kollu in a separate bowl in same pressure cooker when I cook my rice as it saves time for me.
3) After it cools, drain the water from kollu and set aside. We are going to use the drained water to prepare Rasam.
4) Add Garlic, pepper and cumin seeds to hand mortar and grind it to coarse paste using a pestle. Next add Coriander leaves and grind again to coarse mixture. Next add 1 tbsp of cooked kollu and grind again. This will form a coarse mixture, scrap it with a ladle and set aside.
5) Add Tamarind juice, Tomatoes and leave it to boil till tomatoes are cooked. Now add the kollu mixture, Salt, Turmeric powder and leave it to boil nicely.
6) Add enough water and leave it to boil till frothy, finally garnish with fresh curry leaves.
7) Heat ghee in a kadai and add Mustard seeds to crackle. Next add Asafoetida, Red chillies , curry leaves and switch off the flame. Pour this seasoning mixture on top of rasam.
Tasty Kollu Rasam is ready.
1) Skip Garlic if you want to prepare this Rasam as no Garlic recipe.
2) Remaining Kollu can be usd to prepare Kollu sundal.
3) If you dont have Hand mortar, you can use mixer to grind. But make sure to grind to coarse mixture so that you can taste the kollu too with while enjoying the Rasam.