Dosa is a simple and tasty South Indian Breakfast.
Generally I use the same Idli batter diluted with little water for making Dosa. After grinding the batter it is let to sit for fermentation and first day Idlis are made and next day Dosas are made.
I have posted Idli/Dosa batter recipe separately. In case you want to grind only for Dosa, you can follow these steps
Ingredients for Dosa Batter:
- 1 Cup Idli Rice
- 1 cup Raw Rice (Or Dosa Rice)
- 1/2 Cup Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Toor dal
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- As needed Salt
Method for batter:
1) Soak all the ingrediants together for 4-5 hours.
2) Grind it using a mixer or Grinder to smooth paste.
3) Add Salt and mix well.
4) Leave it to ferment overnight.
Our Dosa batter is ready
Ingredients for Making Dosa:
As needed Idli/Dosa batter
Method for making Dosa:
1) Heat a Dosa tawa in medium flame, drizzle some sesame oil and spread them completely.
2) Pour the Dosa batter on the tawa and spread it to form a circle. Drizzle few oil along the sides.
3) Close it with a lid to cook in medium flame.
4) After it cooked open the lid and leave it to cook for few seconds.
5) Remove it from Tawa and serve hot with your favourite side dish.
1) You can also cook the dosa without closing with lid, but make sure to flip it around to cook the other side.
2) My MIL follows these steps to get super crispy dosa
- Spread the batter as fast as you can also as thin as you can (comes out of practice)
- Drizzle more oil on sides to get crispy edges
- Keep the flame to high and move the dosa tawa to corners so that it cooks on edges too. (Needs practice) then reduce the flame to low. Be cautious as it might get burnt soon and remove the dosa as soon as it is cooked to nice brown colour with crispy edges.