I am a big fan of sweet corn soup which my MIL makes. This sweet corn soup is a easy version and can be prepared in no time.
- 2 American sweet corns
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Pepper powder (freshly ground is preferred)
- 2 tbsp Spring onion (chopped finely)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 4 cups Milk
- As per taste Salt
1) Scrap the corn kernels from the cob and keep aside.
2) Grind it to smooth paste using a mixer.
3 Heat butter in a kadai/pan, add onions and sauté till they turns transparent. Maintain medium flame through out and make sure not to roast the onions.
4) Add 1 tbsp of spring onions and sauté.
5) Add the ground paste and 2 cups of milk, let it boil in low flame.
6) Add 1/2 tsp pepper powder, salt and let it boil for few more minutes.
7) Soup will start thickening, at this stage add rest of the milk and give a quick stir.
8) Now add remaining spring onion and switch off the flame.
9) Use rest of the pepper powder while serving the soup.
Our Sweet corn soup is ready to be relished.
1) Another method is : First, you can cook or steam the sweet corn and scrap off the corn kernels then grind it. In this method, you can take few sweet corn kernels separately before grinding and add it finally to soup to get the crunchy sweet corns in our mouth while relishing the soup.
2) Next variation is, filtering the sweet corn paste two to three time by adding water. In this way, the outer layer is removed.
1) Adding 1 tbsp of finely chopped celary while sautéing onions enhances the taste of soup.
2) I prefer to cook this soup in milk, you can also add half milk and half water (2 cups milk and 2 cups water). You can also lessen or increase the quantity of milk according to consistency of soup.